Encore Toffee purchases 99.1% of our tins from Independent Can. Learn about their eco-friendly and sustainable packaging.
We at Independent Can diligently commit to a clean, environmentally-conscious operation. We measure and document our efforts in sustainability and recycling. The company’s “Green Committee” was established in March of 2008 with the mission of defining and implementing best practices company-wide. The team put in place a measurable agenda and educated our workforce. We consistently note improvement from year to year in our recycling totals for steel,…and energy efficiency.
We have installed the most energy saving coater ovens in the world. We have also overhauled an existing coater oven allowing for a 20+% increase in through-put and a 30% reduction of energy required utilizing the latest technology and environmental systems. Our printing lines achieve the same vibrant images using less ink. Even more energy is saved with ultraviolet curing.
Our facilities are equipped with energy-efficient heating, cooling and motion-activated lighting. Our facility in Ft. Madison, IA uses geothermal heating. Our new coating equipment oven uses 30% less energy than the one we replaced.
No packaging can match the sustainability of steel. Because of their beauty and reusability, tins are rarely thrown away. They are collected, refilled or displayed in homes and establishments. They are part of the gift and require no secondary packaging. If a tin package ever does make it to the landfill, it will eventually biodegrade.
Most other materials have an extended life cycle with the second “life” being the last. Don’t let their green claims fool you. The trip to the landfill is only postponed.
Steel Life Cycle
• Scrap steel is bundled and taken to a recycling center. It is melted down and the impurities are burned off.
• If the steel is destined to become a can again instead of one of the many other uses for steel, molten steel is poured and rolled into a thin sheet.
• It is coated with tin to retard rust and rolled into a coil.
• The coil is cut into sheets of steel and the process of can making begins again.
• Recycling steel uses 74% less energy than making new
• Every can that you buy is at least 25% recycled steel and up to 60%
• Steel can be easily separated from other waste with a magnet
• There are more than 2000 scrap steel processors in the US
• Every 2,000 lbs. of recycled steel saves 2,500 lbs. of iron ore, 1400 lbs. of coal and 120 lbs. of limestone
• Each year, more steel is recycled than glass, paper, aluminum and plastic combined
You can Recycle Tin Packaging 100%
Steel – the 100% Sustainable Packaging Choice
Steel is the best choice when developing sustainable packaging. We do the heavy lifting for you when it comes to providing you with packaging that you can recycle 100%. In fact, decorative tins made from steel can be recycled, time and time again, without loss of quality. Each can contains between 25 and 60% recycled materials. Steel recycling has hit an all-time high, worldwide according to World Steel Association.
• Approximately 90% of water used in the steel industry is cleaned, cooled and returned to source. Most of the loss is due to evaporation. Water returned to rivers and other sources is often cleaner than when extracted.
• The energy used to produce a ton of steel has been reduced by 60% in the last 50 years.
• Steel is the most recycled material in the world, with over 650 mega ton recycled annually.
• The recovery and use of steel industry by-products has reached a worldwide material efficiency rate of 96%.
• Steel is the main material used in delivering renewable energy: solar, tidal and wind.